Images above / Free People
Sustainability is yet to become mainstream in the fashion industry but here at The White T-shirt Co we see it as a much needed priority. With summer upon us and holidays approaching we have been on the look out for stylish, eco sandals to pair with our organic t-shirts and we want to share these fantastic finds with you.
1. Avarca USA is a family run business who work exclusively with the Menorcan PONS brand, to bring traditional Menorcan sandals to the United States. Fusing culture and fashion the brand aims to bring handcrafted, eco-friendly sandals to sustainable-minded people. This classic style sandal is available in eight colours and is hand crafted in Spain.
2. Humble Hilo hold an extraordinary ethos. Merging fashion and philanthropy founders Lauren and Erica aim to do more than just sell products - they want to make a change. Their totally unique, thoroughly rewarding, buying process allows you to select one of three amazing projects to support by simply buying a product. A portion of every purchase will go towards your chosen charity, not only changing you but the future of someone in need. The choices currently include, Infant and child nutrition, Education and Micro finance for women. The sandals above are handcrafted individually in Guatemala.
3. Birkenstock sandals have recently took the fashion world by storm. Thanks to an increase in the normcore trend, average looking shoes favouring comfort over appearance is the outlook any fashionista is taking. Birkenstock currently offer a limited range of vegan footwear but are willing to expand if the demand is there. We encourage anyone looking to purchase these sandals to definitely opt for the vegan range and help footwear brands realise the potential for more vegan options on the high street.
4. Stella Mccartney is dedicated to replacing the things her company has taken from the environment and is on an on going journey to becoming a sustainable brand. The company believe in cruelty free contemporary design and proves eco friendly products can still be stylish. The rocio sandals come in a range of materials and patterns including vegan leather and 100% cotton.
5. Toms is another brand offering an authentic, charitable ethos. Starting in 2006, founder Blake Mycoskie created the brand after befriending children in a small village in Argentina. The harsh realisation of seeing the children with nothing to protect their feet led to Toms matching every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of new shoes given to a child in need. The success of this one for one movement led to a similar process in an eyewear launch. The company now offers to help 'give sight' to those in need with every eyewear product purchased. Toms are currently giving to over 60 countries worldwide.
6. The frustration of finding products that were both stylish and cruelty free, led to the start up of Brighton brand, Beyond Skin in 2001. Their mission is to bring style and quality to those who care. They currently pledge to give 1% of profits to grass root environmental and social projects and hope to increase this as they grow. The Iggy sandal is beautifully handmade in Spain from Faux leather and a vegan high heel wedge.